Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reflection on the 84th Oscars

There were no big surprises this year and my predictions for the big awards were mostly right. When the biggest surprise of the night is Rise of the Planet of the Apes not winning best visual effects, you have a pretty predictable night.

I really enjoyed this year's awards show, though. Billy Crystal did a good job. Though he had a lot of jokes that misfired, he played it straight as always and had me laughing a handful of times, which is more than I can say for most of the recent hosts. And that Cirque de Soleil performance was quite literally mind-blowing.

I am disappointed that Adam Sandler, a day after he was nominated for an unprecedented 11 Razzie Awards, was featured in a few of those short things where he talked about his experience at the movies. But I did enjoy the little short about movie screenings featuring the cast of Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman; that was great albeit completely unnecessary.

It was truly great to see Christopher Plummer up there getting an award this year. I was genuinely happy to say that. He's been an outstanding actor for half a century and it was about time he got his due. I wasn't surprised by it by any means but I also didn't predict him to win.

I was disappointed that Michelle Williams didn't win an Oscar for My Week with Marilyn. Though I admittedly didn't see a lot of the performances up for awards, that was easily my favorite performance of the year. She just did everything perfectly. That having been said, it was nice to see Meryl Streep up there for the first time in 30 years, as she may very well be the greatest actress of all time. On another note, I found out tonight that Michelle Williams played the wife in Shutter Island. That surprised me.

I had a lot of fun watching the Oscars tonight and it was my favorite one yet. I may very well say the same thing next year, as I see myself following film more and more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment