Saturday, April 14, 2012

Seminar on Broadway - A Review

I got the pleasure of seeing Seminar as my first Broadway play and it was a lot of fun. It has been running on Broadway for some time now and has gotten pretty good reviews, being called things like "the funniest show on Broadway." I got to see Jeff Goldblum, one of my favorite actors, play the lead.

It's about four young writers living in New York City paying for a seminar run by an older man, Leonard (Goldblum) who's been published plenty of times. Needless to say, Leonard is a complete asshole and he cuts everyone down, making it hilarious.

The other characters were pretty good, too. I was surprised that Justin Long, who's character of Martin probably had the most lines, could actually act. He was really good. So was Zoe Lister-Jones as Kate. Leonard, Martin, and Kate all had a lot of depth to them for a relatively short play at under two hours. It was nice to see that and it worked as a great compliment to the comedy.

This was a very well-written play. I looked at the playwright's previous credits and it was nothing I recognized, though Theresa Rebeck had been a finalist for a Pulitzer as a co-writer. The director, too, I had never heard of (how could I? This was my first Broadway play) and this appeared to be a very easy play to direct.

The energy of the play was one thing that stood out. Although nearly all of it was just the five characters talking, there was a certain edge to every line of dialogue, delivered rapidly in many instances. I laughed out loud many times and it more than kept my interest.

I'd certainly recommend it. Unfortunately I can't compare it to anything else out there on Broadway and I'm sure there are better ones, but I'm also sure you could easily find worse comedy plays out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment