Tuesday, January 17, 2012

LMFAO is the worst thing since the Holocaust

I don't think this is too much of a hyperbole. There are few things I hate on earth more than LMFAO: among them, terrorists, the Boston Red Sox, and kids. Why do I hate them so much, you ask? Well I'll do my best to explain.

Now like most people who despise LMFAO I've only heard their two ridiculously popular (and annoying as hell) songs: Party Rock Anthem and Sexy and I Know It. I hate both of them with a burning passion. LMFAO is a duo consisting of Redfoo and SkyBlu or whatever, that play electro hop music--a genre already obnoxious and annoying, sinking to new lows with LMFAO now on the scene. They have the audacity to call their music "party rock" and while their music certainly is for parties, it in no ways resembles rock. Rock actually takes a certain degree of talent to make, consisting of drumming, vocals, guitar, bass, and maybe a keyboard (usually), not just random beats that give you headaches.

Their music is basically exclusively about drinking and partying and certainly lacking artistic value, not to mention talent.

Okay, so here's "Party Rock Anthem", the second best-selling song of 2011. The song is built around a phrase: "Everyday I'm shuffling". I don't get it. They center a song on a phrase that wasn't even popular enough to be successful on a Rick Ross song but they liked it, so they bought the rights or whatever. Anyways there's annoying rapping about partying and how they "party rock", whatever the hell that means. And there's something about rising to the top, no led in someone's zeppelin. Again, I don't get it.

In the hook of the song, there's this really weird beat that almost sounds dubsteppy. Difficult to explain because that genre of music is so impossible to explain except for one word: STUPID.

Then comes the single "Sexy and I Know It" and it might even be worse. The music video is incredibly disturbing, featuring one of the LMFAO guys going around in a really small speedo and shaking his junk around. Yes, I'm a heterosexual male, but I quite frankly think this would be enough to frighten anyone. The lyrics are about how the cocky rapper is sexy, and tans his cheeks on a beach (followed by an obnoxious "wuhhhhhh"). What bothers me most about this song is the "Girl, look at that body" part because in the background there's this incredibly creepy deep breath heard and it comes up every time. I can't really put words to it but let me just say that that's come up in my nightmares on multiple occasions.

What bothers me most about LMFAO is that they're so damn commercial. They're rappers but I cannot call their music rap. It's disjointed commercial diarrhea certain to piss off anyone who likes actual music. The fact that they've had two number one hits (a feat Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, and Creedence Clearwater Revival never achieved) just disgusts me and it goes to show you what bullshit the music industry is now. The songs are nearly certain to be stuck in your head, but catchiness by no means signifies greatness. For example, I don't think anyone will ever confuse the $5 Footlong song with "A Day in the Life".

No comments:

Post a Comment